Del Mar, California
Del Mar Real Estate Agents earn 100% Commision with Big Block Realty.
In 2016 and 2017, Big Block Realty agents sold over 1 billion dollars in real estate and were ranked #1 Fastest Growing Company in America by Inc. 500.
Big Block Realty’s 100% commission real estate agents in Del Mar are some of the most successful agents in the county, many who understand the demands of the Del Mar real estate market. With 24/7 broker support, world-class training, marketing, and 100% commission split, it is no wonder we now have over 600 active agents and no sign of slowing down in sight.
A Brief History Of Del Mar
The popular beach town of Del Mar, gets its name from a popular poem of the time, “The Flight of Paseo Del Mar.” It is said the at this name was given by Ella Taylor, the wife of the father of Del Mar, Theodore Loop.
A New York native, Loop originally came to Southern California in 1882 to build the connecting railroad from Los Angeles to San Diego. When laying the tracks through the area once known as Township 14, Loop knew he had “found the most attractive place on the entire coast.”
Soon after arriving, Loop was introduced to a rancher from New Mexico, Mr. Jacob Shell Taylor. Taylor and Loop shared the love they found for the area and recognized a real estate development opportunity. In the summer of 1885, Taylor purchased 338.11 acres and began building the new resort town.
Taylor businessman mind quickly took hold, and the vision of Del Mars future began to unfold. Knowing that if he could entice visitors to Del Mar they would likely be loyal customers or new residents. Jacob Taylor’s next move was to build 40 small houses, a two-story Victorian schoolhouse, an observation tower, a train depot and a water system. Additionally, in 1886 Taylor opened “Casa Del Mar,” the area’s first resort. To entertain visitors Taylor built a dance pavilion on the beach and a large swimming desi pool that went out into the ocean called a Natatorium. Del Mar became a popular vacation destination.
Sadly, after 5 years of development success, in 1889 Jacob Taylor woke up in the early morning to the smell of smoke in his hotel room. Taylor tried to assure guests that everything would be fine, but within two hours the entire hotel burned to the ground. Luckily, the rest of the town survived but Taylor never recovered. His plans to rebuild the hotel never finalized and Taylor moved to Texas; leaving behind the town he founded, never to return.
South Coast Land Company purchased the area with the intent to expand Del Mar in the early 1900’s. The first order task for South Coast was to remove all remnants of Case Del Mar, and to relocate the center of town to what is now 15th street. This lead to the Del Mar we know and love today, including historic landmarks like the English Tudor style Stratford Inn, built in 1906; The Stratford Inn Hotel became a favorite of Los Angeles/Hollywood based silent film stars. The L’Auberge Del Mar Resort now stands on the site.